Domestic Violence Awareness Month
National Domestic Violence Awareness Month is an annual designation observed in October. For many, home is a place of love, warmth, and comfort. It’s somewhere that you know you will be surrounded by care and support, and a nice little break from the busyness of the real world. But for millions of others, home is anything but a sanctuary. The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that 1.3 million women and 835,000 men are victims of physical violence by a partner every year.
• Every 9 seconds, a woman in the U.S. is beaten or assaulted by a current or ex-significant other.
• 1 in 4 men are victims of some form of physical violence by an intimate partner.
• Genesis Women's Shelter, genesisshelter.org, Hotline 214-946-4357
• Hope's Door New Beginning Center, hdnbc.org, Hotline 972-279-0057
• Family Place, familyplace.org, Hotline 214-941-1991